04.25.08

Nesting…

Posted in Main, Mind Wanderings at 2:56 pm by carrie

I’ve never seen a Robin’s Egg before… that wasn’t plastic or in a Martha Stewart magazine..

In the front of our new house, a nest with little blue eggs… my favorite blue color in the whole wide world, actually :) I had no idea this color occurred in nature.

Wow… this year. I’m the first to admit that I’m frightened by change… so I assume that’s why I changed half-a-dozen major aspects of my life in one swoop. It’s like taking off a dozen bandaids… at once. Sure, it hurts… but only once!

North Carolina is different… but not as different as I thought it would be. The air is cleaner, but a tad thicker… it’s a bit humid right now. The people are incredibly friendly… and I’m so accustomed to people waving to me as they drive by that if someone doesn’t wave… I take it personally ;)

As everyone knows, moving is a chore… we’ve been here a week and there are still boxes everywhere, I can’t find any scissors, I still have bills to pay from Los Angeles and the store… but which box are the stamps and envelopes in, or… the company checks?? *sigh* They’ll turn up… along with my marbles ;) Pictured above is Meg guarding our new front door which has a clear glass “screen” door… for bird watching ;) She loves it… and she loves this house. The second we got her into that yard she pranced around like she owned the place then went up on the deck and I could swear I heard her say… “mine”. She runs up and down the stairs and all of her toys have made their way to the top of the stairs, where she likes to perch and keep an eye on things.

Our going away/wedding party was wonderful… so many faces that I haven’t seen in over a decade. The photo booth was a HIT, and I would recommend using Capital Photo Booths to anyone because it really was a lot of fun! Darin, the owner, was so nice and had a great sense of humor. I’m getting the disc with all the pictures from the photo booth “sittings” and will post some later :)

Here are some pics of the party setup:

We had blue, green and white hydrangeas on each table… along with a welcome card and candles with custom matchbooks.

Sprinkles cupcakes… in 7 flavors.

Little tags on each cupcake grouping.

I got this idea to do a picture tower/may pole thing with lots of ribbons and hanging black and white photos of Nathan and I as kids… but… it looked a little messy… but we got a lot of color in there! We also made these rose balls and hung them on there… which I LOVE. These were the lemonade roses… a yellowey-green rose that smelled divine, they were so gorgeous!

I just love lime green and robin’s egg blue together… even the house is getting that color scheme…

Well, it’s going to take me a while to get back into some sort of routine… I have several business ideas but not sure where to start :) We’re going to the Raleigh Flea Market on Saturday to get furniture and ideas… pics to come in a few days. Thanks so much for following me on this journey… and now into the next chapter of my novel here… we can write it together ;)

10 Comments »

1. Melanie Schulenberg said,

April 25, 2008 at 7:31 pm

What a wonderful photo of that nest…the blue, green and natural color of the nest. Those same colors follow in the rest of your images. Very nice.

2. Carrie West said,

April 26, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Wow, I love the picture tower! Such a great picture of the birds nest! Such beautiful blue eggs!
    Enjoy your weekend!~

3. Holly said,

April 27, 2008 at 10:13 pm

I am loving that picture of the robin’s eggs!!!! I guess I am being a bit naive, but I didnt really think that color occured in nature either…. soooo beautiful! :) Your house in NC is so darling, I wish you guys much happiness there! I recently found your blog and keep checking in- I went back to read some of your other posts and loved them! :)

4. Graycee said,

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 am

The eggs are beautiful, Meg looking thru the door is as cute as can be and the cupcakes look delicious!!!

Best wishes for the unpacking . . . it’s such a pain in the butt, isn’t it . . .

The only thing you’re really missing here is the Santa Anita fire . . . it’s in the Sierra Madre hills right now . . . my sinuses are not happy . . . but, no homes in danger.

:-)

5. a home far away said,

April 29, 2008 at 2:32 am

Wow, so many lovely photos! I love the nest and the photo of the gorgeous dog! I have 2 myself here in Singapore.

Take car

Hugs Gunilla

6. Pearl Maple said,

April 29, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Visited your blog space today through a link on Frosting & Sparkles. That blue/green color scheme is lovely and just perfect for spring time.

Enjoyed your creative and inspirational posts, good luck with your move.

7. Sharon said,

May 1, 2008 at 10:36 am

I visited your blog by way of My Romantic Home. I saw that you had recently moved and read over past postings. I was struck by the similarites in what you and I had experienced. I operated a gift shop/business for over 20 years in a small town that has become a bedroom community for D.C. and one day last year decided to close it down. Over the years, I had sold everything from custom draperies, Dept 56 villages, Yankee Candles, jewelry, decorating accents and so on. During our “closing sale” I heard all of the comments that you mentioned and more. My favorites included “…I don’t know what I’m going to do…I always come here every Christmas to get ‘so and so’ for my mother..” Of course, where were they the rest of the year? Once I made the decision to close I felt much better. I have been selling remaining inventory through our Ebay store, yard sales, etc. I have opened an Etsy store and am beginning to get back to making things myself and have lots of accumulated supplies to work with!

You will love North Carolina. When I was growing up, my family lived in Charlotte for quite a few years and my daughter is just finishing her first year of college in Spartanburg, SC. We will be in Charlotte to visit family friends this next week, then up our daughter and attend our son’s law school graduation in Nashville, TN The South will offer lots of opportunities and supplies to market your creativity.

I just decided to start a blog within the last month and am trying hard to keep up with it. Good luck with your move and I will look forward to checking in with your blog in the future.

8. Colleen Gallagher said,

May 1, 2008 at 10:58 am

Carrie, your pictures are swoon worthy!!!! Congrats on making the move, and how wonderful that it turned out to be such a brilliant party, I’m so happy for you. You deserve lots of happiness and good fortune, and I hope those lovely robin’s eggs are indicitive of all of the goodies in store for you

xoxo

9. Laurie said,

May 4, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Oh my those eggs are almost to good to be true!! Good luck in finding your scissors.lol. Laurie

10. Kathy Boyett said,

July 13, 2008 at 11:05 pm

I love that you are letting us follow your journey. Your talent and creative flair comes through in everything you do! I so miss your store and the awesome small touches and details you added to every transaction! When I first found your store I was excited beyond belief. I understand your move and need to relocate, but you and your lovely store is sorely missed. I truly believe we leave a part of us where ever we have been and a big part of you and your creative touch will forever be here in La Crescenta! Best of luck in everything and I will continue to follow your journey.